Trade Bins & Waste Collections
Fees will be levied per bin per collection for the various types of bin/container as follows:
|(a) 240 litre Wheeled plastic bin||£6.00|
|(b) 240 litre Wheeled plastic bin (own bin)||£5.00|
|(c) 1.1 cu metre Wheeled metal container||£12.00|
|(d) 1.1 cu metre Wheeled metal container (own container)||£10.00|
Leave all bins out by 7:00am on day of collection
Replacement Lid on 1.1 container - £60.00
Purchase of 1.1 container - £300.00
Frequently Asked Questions (Waste and Recycling)
1. What recycling services can Newtownabbey Borough Council offer local businesses in the borough?
- We can provide containers for general refuse and arrange a regular collection of such.
- We offer limited recycling facilities for glass and paper. Please note that these schemes were started as trials and the council cannot guarantee to be able to extend these services.
- We can offer advice and further information regarding waste and recycling issues and can put you in contact with other organisations that may be useful to you.
- If your business is interested in becoming a commercial user of Bruslee Civic Amenity and Recycling Centre call Business Support on 02890 340057/6 for more information.
2. Why is it important for businesses to consider waste issues?
It is becoming increasingly costly for businesses to dispose of waste due to environmental pressure, European Union Directives and landfill disposal costs. Businesses are seeking to recycle waste instead of sending it all to landfill, thus helping the environment and increasing their own ‘green credentials’. Waste is becoming increasingly important and even ’fashionable’ and for a business to be able to say that they recycle x% of their waste could be extremely attractive to potential customers. If we can transform something old into new material that can be used again we are saving energy, landfill space and in some cases, money.
3. How do I become a commercial user at Bruslee Civic Amenity and Recycling Centre?
Businesses must register to become commercial users of Bruslee. To do this call Newtownabbey Borough Council Environment Services Business Support on 02890 340057/6 for information. Only businesses based in Newtownabbey can use Bruslee for commercial waste.
4. Who do I contact if my bin hasn’t been collected?
- If you forget to leave your bin out please call Business Support on 02890 340057/6 to arrange for a missed bin collection.
- Newtownabbey Borough Council operates a closed lid and no extra side waste policy. If your bin was presented for collection and was not emptied, it could be that the bin is overfilled. If this is the case please remove the excess materials and ensure the lid closes firmly, then call Business Support (02890 340057/6) for a one-off missed bin collection. If the same thing happens again the bin will not be lifted and you will not be entitled to a missed collection.
- If your recycling bin has been missed please call the Recycling Assistant on 02890 340074 to arrange a missed collection. If you have contaminated the recycling bin it is your responsibility to remove all contaminants and only then can the bin be emptied.
5. How can I reduce the amount of waste produced by my company?
There are steps you can take to help reduce the amount of waste produced in a typical office environment:
- Encourage the use of reusable cups for water or coffee machines and eradicate the use of plastic cups.
- Reuse folders and files instead of dumping them and using new ones.
- Set all printers to print double-sided, and use scrap paper for writing notes.
- For more information on how businesses can reduce their environmental impact see: for tips on how to start a recycling scheme in the office.
- for reducing your energy consumption and carbon footprint
- (Business In The Community) can help businesses carry our energy and waste audits.
Related Documents to Download: