Experience suggests that cultural, civic and social linkages can lead to economic and business benefits. Newtownabbey Borough Council through its links with Dorsten (Germany), Rybnik (Poland) and Gilbert, Arizona (USA) explores such opportunities for the benefit of our community.
To provide opportunities for local growth, partners exchange ideas and open new markets for investment by building partnerships between industries and encouraging commerce.
The significance of Newtownabbeys international relationships cannot be underestimated. Some of our local businesses are already generating actual profits from the links and we believe that the potential benefits for our local businesses have yet to be fully realized.
The responsibility of co-ordinating the international relationships sits within the Economic Development Section of the Council. The actual benefits of the links include:
- Promotion of Newtownabbey as an inward investment location.
- Opportunities for local companies to expand into the export market, for example: in 2005 Newtownabbey companies quoted for upwards of £1.5 million of new business in Poland.
- Exchange of best practice in the context of approaches to economic, social, urban development and local governance.
- Increase in the mutual understanding of the cultural, recreational and commercial activities of the towns.
- for our young adults to experience life with an international perspective.
Find out more: