- Sport in Newtownabbey
- Sports Development
- Sports Events
- Sports Funding
- Sports Directory
- Sports Facilities
- Grassroots Football
- Special Olympics
- Who We Funded
- Ruby Maxwell Trophy
Sports Development is the process whereby opportunities, processes and structures are put in place to enable and encourage all individuals to take part in sport, and to assist with the improvement of their performance to whatever level they desire. The Sports Development Service aims to facilitate and develop casual and informal participation in recreational activities such as walking, cycling and gym usage as well as more organised club, team and individual sports.
Services We Provide:
- The provision of a Council Sports Grant Scheme.
- A programme of sports development that increases opportunities for participation and improved performance in sport for the whole community.
- Providing an accessible and comprehensive sports information service.
- Providing a programme of training and support for those involved in providing sport.
- Providing mechanisms to enable progression from foundation level through to excellence.
- Establishing and extending partnerships for the development of sporting opportunities.
- Continuing to pursue, and advise sporting groups and individuals upon, external funding sources.
- Working with, supporting and developing local sports clubs.
- Organisation of a varied range of sporting events.
Newtownabbey Borough Council's Sports Development service comprises of one Sports Development Officer working within the Community Development Team in the Development Services Department at Mossley Mill. It is the role of this Officer to deliver a comprehensive programme of Sports Development activities, events, and initiatives to benefit all the people in the Borough regardless of age, gender, religion or ability.
The Officer also plays the role of providing an important point of contact for any member of the public who seeks assistance, information or guidance concerning any of the many sporting interests within Newtownabbey Borough Council.