About Source Magazine
Source is Newtownabbey Borough Counciḻs award winning full-colour magazine, published three times a year and distributed to all residential addresses and business addresses in BT36, BT37 and BT39. Source, started life in 1999 and we produce a Summer and Winter issue each year.
A national resident survey recently carried out by an independent market research company has found that 76% of the public regard Source magazine as their preferred way of receiving information about the Council services. This view is supported by a reader survey which found that 94% found it useful and 91% found it an enjoyable read. The magazine won the Institute of Public Relations Pride Award for the best newsletter in Northern Ireland in 2004.
- To better inform the public about the work of the council, its policies, services, activities and events in a regularly produced, accessible and attractive publication.
- To report on performance by publicising the Counciḻs service priorities and achievements and to explain how council rate payers' money is being spent.
- To consult with local residents, seek their views on Council services, plans and proposals and to encourage citizens to take part in the democratic process.
- To demonstrate value for money by ensuring that the publication remains as cost effective as possible, regularly benchmarking with other local authority newspapers/magazines.
- The Council's success in meeting these objectives will be measured on a regular basis through our participation in the national residents survey, through reader surveys, and by seeking recognition through appropriate awards schemes.
Content, Production & Distribution
- All content is written and edited by the Counciḻs Marketing and PR Team, based in the Central Services Department. The magazine is managed by the Marketing & PR Manager.
- Sub-editing, page layout and design are carried out either internally, resources permitting, or by a specialist external agency, contracted to undertake the work.
- Royal Mail deliver Source to every household & business in BT36, BT37 and BT39 - approximately 39,500 in total. Additional copies are also made available through the council offices, libraries and leisure centres. A PDF file version of the current issue is posted on www.newtownabbey.gov.uk.
- Source can be made available in a range of formats, including disc, Braille, audio and large print. It can also be requested in minority languages to meet the needs of those whose first language is not English.
- The Marketing and PR Team must approve content in consultation with the Chief Executive.
- Wherever possible, and subject to time constraints, articles will be checked by the appropriate officer prior to publication.
- All content should be edited and approved by the Marketing and PR Team to make sure that it is easy to read, using plain English and explaining technical terms as simply as possible.
- The design and print of the publication should be maintained to a high standard, taking cognisance of the need to use colour schemes and typefaces that are easy to read.
- All content must be provided within published production guidelines.
- Due to last minute editorial decisions no guarantee can be given that any article will finally appear in that issue.