Mossley Mill

Photo of Mossley Mill

Mossley Mill, 1930s.

 

There had been textile-related industries on the Mossley site since the 1700s but it was due to the Grimshaw family, well-established local cotton manufacturers, that flax spinning was introduced to Mossley. Edmund Grimshaw began the flax spinning business in 1834 and under his ownership the mill dam and chimney were created utilising water and steam power to run the mill machinery. The Campbell family purchased the mill in 1859 and continued expanding both mill and village, setting up a school, workers’ houses and a sports pavilion. Thread making was introduced to the business in the 1880s and expansion continued throughout the 1900’s with the arrival of synthetic threads and new manufacturing equipment.

 

In 1978 the company was sold to the London-based Hanson Trust. At this time, it was amalgamated with Barbour Threads of Hilden, near Lisburn. The resulting company was renamed Barbour Campbell Threads Ltd and all thread production was transferred to Hilden, while spinning remained at Mossley. In 1993, Mossley was bought by Herdmans flax spinners of Sion Mills, County Tyrone, and it finally closed in 1995.

 

The former flax spinning mill was saved from demolition when Newtownabbey Council bought it in 1996 and a major restoration and conversion project was begun. The aim was to retain an important element of local heritage whilst providing a modern and accessible working environment. Part one of the mill site was converted for Civic Headquarters and was officially opened by Prince Charles on 13 June 2000.

 

Work on Phase Two of the Mossley Mill Civic and Cultural development has now begun. The project includes the refurbishing the remaining mill buildings and creating a new state-of-the-art Community Arts and Cultural Centre capable of conferences, exhibitions, functions and arts and cultural events.

 

For more information on the history of Mossley Mill see the Council’s leaflet ‘Mossley Mill, A Short History’ available to download below.

 

Mossley Mill

Carnmoney Road North
Newtownabbey
BT36 5QA
Tel: 028 9034 0000
Fax: 028 9034 0200
Text phone: 028 9034 0109
Email: info@newtownabbey.gov.uk
Getting to Mossley Mill: Directions To Mossley Mill
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 9:00am-5:00pm

Related Documents to Download:

Download Mossley Mill Heritage Gallery

Download History of Mossley Mill (.pdf 220Kb)

Download History of Mossley Mill Podcast (.MP3 7.81Mb 8.32mins)

Top of page

 

 

 

Bookmark & Share this page:
For further details on this contact:

Museums and Heritage Officer

Tel: 028 9034 0064

Email: scurry@newtownabbey.gov.uk

© Newtownabbey Borough Council 2014