Leisure and Culture Grants
Click on the headings below for further details:
Important Applicant Information:
The play grant programme will open on the 1st April 2013 and will consider relevant expenditure between 1st April 2013 and 31st March 2014. Expenditure prior to the submission of the application will be classed as retrospective and as such cannot be considered.
General guide to grant aid
We acknowledge the efforts of local groups in their contribution towards the development of sustainable play within the Borough. We recognise the need to support and will help in whatever way possible by working in partnership with them to achieve success. We have long supported the work of groups and individuals by giving them financial assistance. Grant schemes are available for groups. We have approved these schemes and we will regularly review them to allow the maximum benefit to the rate payers of Newtownabbey.
PLAY & RECREATION MISSION STATEMENT
To initiate and develop a broad programme of activities which will promote a healthy lifestyle and encourage participation, provide opportunities and improve performance in play within Newtownabbey.
WHO CAN APPLY
As an applicant, you must live in the Newtownabbey Borough Council area.As a group 75% of your group must reside in the Newtownabbey Borough area.
|Type of Grant||Maximum|
1. Training and Development
We will support applications that are aimed at improving community awareness and knowledge of play issues, and that will improve opportunities for safe, accessible play for all specific interest groups, including:
-Play focus groups
Training may include child protection, equal opportunities, health and safety issues, creating a child-centred environment, role of the play worker, games, drama, and arts and crafts.
2. Play-Related Equipment
We welcome applications from groups providing opportunities for after-school play requiring support with basic equipment up to a maximum of £400.
3. Other Themes Considered for Grant Aid
We also welcome applications from groups and educational establishments wishing to provide opportunities in the following areas:
-Creating a quality living environment
-Disability and play
Improving play opportunities in schools.
1. All requests must be submitted on official application forms endorsed by the relevant Governing Body.
2. The Assistance Play Grant scheme will acknowledge receipt of all requests.
3. The Assistance Play Grant scheme will not grant in retrospect.
4. Application forms for financial assistance should be received by the Council at least two months before the event.
5. The Assistance Play Grant scheme requires the applying group to submit a current constitution and most recent audited accounts as part of the registration process for the association.
6. An individual may only apply for funding once per financial year.
7. A group may normally only apply to the Assistance Plays Grant:
(a) Once in the "group categories" section in any financial year, (April - March).
Exceptional circumstances may be taken into consideration.
8. Grants must be used for the purpose for which the application was initially made, and in the circumstances where this stipulation is not adhered to satisfactorily, Newtownabbey Borough Council will insist on repayment.
The decision of the Assistance Play Grant scheme is final. All grants will be subject to the audit of Newtownabbey Borough Council.
Grant Aid Application Flowchart
The flowchart below shows the various stages an application has to go through before a decision is made. Applicants should note that if their application form is NOT accompanied by the required documents, lengthy delays may result.
|LETTER OF ACKNOWLEDGMENT|
|SPORT AND PLAY DEVELOPMENT OFFICER REPORT AND RECOMMENDATIONS COMPILED|
|CHECKED AND AGREED BY HEAD OF SECTION|
|CHECKED AND AGREED BY DIRECTOR|
|APPLICATION CONSIDERED BY LEISURE COMMITTEE|
|APPLICATION CONSIDERED BY FULL COUNCIL|
|APPLICANT INFORMED OF COUNCIL DECISION WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS|
|RECEIPTS, EVALUATION REPORT AND POSITIVE PUBLICITY ARE RECEIVED NOTIFICATION SENT TO ACCOUNTS TO ISSUE PAYMENT|
Play Development Grants
Play Development Grants are for groups who wish to undertake training, or develop or enhance a project or event related to the development of play opportunities in Newtownabbey Borough.
Terms and Conditions
1. We will support projects and groups who fulfil the community development objectives in the play development section of our corporate strategy, and reflect our equal opportunities policy.
2. We will not accept incomplete or unreadable applications, and will return them to the applicant. You can download an application form using the link at the top of the page.
3. The use of the grant must be non profit-making.
4. The amount of grant we offer will depend on the funding available.
5. Newtownabbey Borough Councilís support should be acknowledged in all publicity material relating to an event.
6. We will only accept applications completed on official application forms.
7. You can get extra forms from the Newtownabbey Borough Councilís Play Development Officer at the address below.
8. Your organisation or group must ensure it has suitable insurance or public liability cover for any training courses outside Council buildings.
9. We will only award one grant to any group in each financial year (1 April to 31 March).
10. We will not consider retrospective funding. Retrospective projects are those that have taken place before we have considered the application, or those on which money has already been spent before the full council meeting. Where possible we should receive your application two months before the event, to allow us enough time to consider it.
1.We will encourage funded groups to take part in training or development courses, or conferences organised by the Council.
2.We will acknowledge all applications for grant aid, in writing, within 10 working days of receipt.
3.We may defer applications if we need more information.
4.We will not consider a claim for applications lost in the post, unless you have proof of posting.
5.If your application is unsuccessful, you can contact the Play Development Officer to find out why. Tel: 028 90 340065, Email: