The Street Trading Act (Northern Ireland) 2001 enables district councils to regulate street trading by preventing undue nuisance, interference or inconvenience to people and traffic. It applies to any person selling, exposing or offering anything for sale or supplying or offering to supply a service in a street or public place (whether or not in or from a stationary position). A ‘street’ includes a road, footpath or public place to which the public has access without payment. Places enclosed by a wall or fence etc. within the curtilage of a dwelling or 10 metres or more from any road or footpath are exempt from the licensing requirements.
The types of Street Trading are:
When trading is carried out from a fixed location at regular times and days (e.g. hot food van). Licence Fee £175.
W when trading from a vehicle which goes from place to place stopping for a time to trade (e.g. ice-cream van). Licence Fee £100.
T trading at outdoor events for up to seven consecutive days (e.g. May Fair). Licence Fee £35.
Stationary licences may only be granted to trade from streets designated by the council. The following are designated pitches in Newtownabbey Borough. The period of the licence is 12 months from 1st April – 31st March the following year.
- Mallusk Road (lay-by fronting 32-38 Mallusk Road)
- McKinney Industrial Estate (lay-by beside entrance to Valence Technology)
- Trench Road (at rear of Agnew Commercials)
- Sentry Lane (on road in recessed part of footpath outside Simms and Young)
- Campbell Road (adjacent to Mossley Recreation Ground)
- Antrim Road (on hard shoulder opposite Sentry Lane, between Charles Hurst and Roads Service Depot, Saturday mornings until 2.00 pm)
To discuss any aspect of street trading or to provide details for inclusion on the waiting list for available pitches please contact us on 028 9034 0160.