Public Health & Housing
We aim to protect the environment and public health and improve the quality of life for the people of the Newtownabbey Borough.
What We Do
- Investigate complaints regarding conditions which are prejudicial to public health or a nuisance for example, dampness, drainage, bad smells, defective heating appliances, dust and fumes and .
- Carry out inspections in rented sector housing, including owner-occupied properties, properties controlled by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive and Housing Associations and privately rented properties to ensure houses are suitable for living in.
- Respond to complaints regarding harassment & illegal eviction in the private sector.
- Investigate complaints in relation to ruinous and dilapidated buildings.
- Carry out programmed sampling of public and private supplies.
- Sample public and private swimming pool waters.
- Carry out sampling of larger private water supplies on behalf of the Drinking Water Inspectorate.
- Provide advice in relation to fuel poverty.
How to contact us:
Newtownabbey Borough Council
Telephone: 028 9034 0160
Fax: 028 9034 0177
Northern Ireland Housing Executive:
Department for Social Development:
Department for Regional Development:
The Housing Rights Service:
Northern Ireland Water: