- Environmental Health
- Food Safety
- Consumer Safety
- Public Health & Housing
- Home Accident Prevention
- Health & Safety
Health & Safety
We aim to protect the employer, self-employed, employees, contractors, customers and visitors from dangers arising out of a work activity and to ensure the health, safety and welfare of people living in, working in or visiting the Borough.
What We Do
- Carry out planned inspections of premises to assess the existing controls in place to deal with hazards.
- Investigate complaints about unsafe premises or working conditions.
- Investigate accidents reported to the department - The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997 require employees to report certain accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences to the local authority.
- Provide free advice and information.
- Provide Health and Safety training (Level 2 Award in Health & Safety in the Workplace).
- Launch campaigns and initiatives to raise awareness of Health and Safety issues in accordance with the HELANI strategic plan 2009-2011 - (.pdf 572Kb).
- Maintain a register of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers.
- Compile a poisons register.
In performing our duties we adhere to guidance from The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland and we liaise with other Councils to promote consistency of enforcement. The Council’s(.pdf 455Kb) explains how we make decisions when enforcing the law.
Who Enforces Health and Safety legislation within my premises?
Enforcement of Health and Safety at Work legislation is carried out by Environmental Health Officers from Newtownabbey Borough Council and by Inspectors employed by the Health and Safety Executive (HSENI). However these inspectors are responsible for enforcement in different sectors.
A breakdown is given in the table below.
|Council Environmental Health:||HSENI:|
|Recreation/Entertainment||Mines & Quarries|
|Places of worship||Nursing Homes|
If enforcement of Health & Safety within your business would be carried out by the local authority see the(.pdf 1.1Mb).
How to Contact Us
Newtownabbey Borough Council
Telephone: 028 9034 0160
Fax: 028 9034 0177
If your enquiry relates to a Business sector that HSENI deals with please contact:
Health & Safety Executive Northern Ireland
83 Ladas Drive
Telephone: 028 9024 3249
Fax: 028 9023 5383