Your rates bill is based on the capital value of your property, and is in two parts:
- Regional rate, which is set by central government and accounts for approximately 53% of your bill.
- District rate, which is set by Newtownabbey Borough Council and accounts for the remaining 47% of your bill.
The regional rates are struck by the Department of Finance and Personnel as a contribution towards services provided by the devolved Government Departments. The regional rate is the same throughout Northern Ireland.
The district rate pays for a wide range of services and facilities including:
- Refuse collection and disposal
- Street cleansing
- Leisure centres and theatre
- Community centres
- Community events
- Sports development
- Economic development
- Registration services
- District policing partnership
- Parks and playgrounds
- Environmental health
- Building control
- Dog control
- Mayoral services
It also covers new developments and improvements in facilities, for example:
- Newtownabbey Way
- Improvement at Sixmilewater Park, including play area
The Council works in partnership on many projects with other agencies and obtains grants to help fund joint projects. For more information contact the Finance Department on 028 9034 0122.
For further information on the current rates position, see: Newtownabbey Borough Council - News:
How Much Are My Rates?
For all matters relating to rates and payment of rates contact Land & Property Services on 0300 200 7801. Further information can be found at: