Disability Action Plan
Under Section 49a of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (as amended by the Disability Discrimination (Northern Ireland) Order 2006), public authorities when carrying out their functions must have due regard to the need to:
- promote positive attitudes towards disabled people; and
- encourage participation by disabled people in public life.
The two duties are collectively referred to as ‘the disability duties’. The disability duties came into effect on 1 January 2007. Newtownabbey Borough Council prepared and consulted on its first plan in 2007. You can access the most recent update of the disability action plan below. Please contact us if you require the document in an alternative format such as large print, Braille, computer disk, audio tape or in minority languages to meet the needs of those who are not fluent in English.
We would appreciate your views on the action plan at any time and will use these to review and update the plan. We would particularly appreciate your assistance in:
- identifying barriers faced by disabled people in participating in public life in general and specifically any barriers they have encountered in relation to their dealings with the Council
- identifying circumstances in the past in which the Council has not promoted positive attitudes towards disabled people and by identifying opportunities in the future for the Council to promote such attitudes
- setting priorities and identifying solutions as regards the taking of remedial action
- monitoring and reviewing the effectiveness of measures taken.
We would like to assist you to make comment on the action plan and are willing to facilitate meetings on request and to arrange these meetings at venues and times to accommodate the needs of those participating.
We will positively respond to requests for further detail or clarification. Should you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact:
Mrs Helen McBride
Corporate Improvement Manager
Newtownabbey Borough Council
Mossley Mill Newtownabbey
Tel: 028 9034 0038
Text relay: 18001 028 9034 0038
Related Documents to Download: